Virginia ABC announces next Pappy lottery
Drawings for 1,815 bottles start next week
Want a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle bourbon whiskey without paying hundreds, even thousands of dollars? The Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority will serve up a shot at the popular whiskeys in an online lottery later this month.
Virginia ABC customers will have the opportunity to enter online to win a chance to purchase five varieties of the highly-prized, highly-sought bourbon whiskeys, which ABC said in a news release they will offer by lottery in an effort to create equitable distribution. The agency has held annual lotteries for the Kentucky bourbons for nearly a decade.
Online entry forms will be available for five days and winners will be selected in a random drawing. The lottery is open to individual residents who are at least 21 years old as well as establishments with mixed beverage licenses.
Separate drawings will be held for retail customers and licensees, which make up about 20% of ABC’s business. Proportionate numbers have been set aside for each, and winners may not buy more than one bottle of each product per lottery entry.
The dates for each online lottery, number of bottles available and product prices are:
- March 9-13:
- Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 Year ($329.99) – five bottles available (four retail, one licensee)
- Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20 Year ($229.99) – 180 bottles available (144 retail, 36 licensee)
- Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 Year ($139.99) – 62 bottles available (50 retail, 12 licensee)
- March 23-27:
- Van Winkle Special Reserve Bourbon 12 Year ($89.99) – 1,207 bottles available (966 retail, 241 licensee)
- Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year ($79.99) – 361 bottles available (289 retail, 72 licensee)
Lottery entries must include the ABC store number and address where the bottle should be delivered for purchase and pick up. More information is available here.