U. Va. reveals Tayloe Murphy Resilience Awards finalists
The University of Virginia has announced 13 finalists for the 2013 Tayloe Murphy Resilience Awards, which honor businesses in the commonwealth that have overcome adversity. Five winners will be announced Oct. 15 at The Abbott Center in U.Va’s Darden School of Business.
Businesses must display growth, a dogged entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to community in areas facing high unemployment, high poverty and low entrepreneurial activity, according to a U. Va. news release.
The Institute for Business in Society (IBiS) at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business sponsors the annual competition. The awards are also presented in part by Virginia Business.
The finalists, listed below, were chosen from dozens of Virginia businesses:
• Blue Ridge Bank, Luray – Blue Ridge Bank opened as the only bank in Page County in 1894. It offers comprehensive banking services, from investment advice to personal checking accounts and business banking.
• Blue Ridge Optics, Bedford – Blue Ridge Optics is a manufacturer and supplier of state of the art optics and thin film coatings for advanced laser systems.
• Care Advantage Inc., Richmond – Care Advantage Inc. assists elderly patients with skilled home health care and personal care services and helps them get around their homes and manage their well-being.
• Container First Services, Petersburg – Container First Services partnered with the Petersburg city government to provide an innovative and cost-effective solution to the area's solid waste disposal needs and to offer Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified recycling services through the Tri-Cities Recycling Center.
• Culpeper Farmers' Cooperative Inc., Culpeper – Culpeper Farmer's Cooperative began as a way for struggling farmers to save money on seeds, machinery and other vital supplies during the Great Depression. It has expanded as a leading provider of feed, pet care products and clothing.
• Hungate Business Services Inc., Marion – Hungate is a leading provider of technology services in southwestern Virginia, specializing in information technology services, telephone systems, scanning systems and print management solutions.
• Interactive Achievement, Roanoke – Known for its innovative software onTRAC and TRAcbook, Interactive Achievement develops tools to assist educators in understanding students' progress.
• R.M. Felts Packing Co., Ivor – R.M. Felts Packing Co. is the largest privately owned country-ham-curing operation in Virginia. Based in Ivor, the company has served customers since 1958.
• Roberts Awning and Sign, Petersburg – Founded in 1912, the company has a strong history in building and installing awnings for residential and commercial customers. The company builds its products in-house, and its employees perform all installations, guaranteeing quality and comprehensive service.
• SHINE Systems & Technologies, Charlottesville – A HUBZone company that specializes in identity intelligence, technology integration, intelligence analytics and consulting services, SHINE serves clients from federal and local governments to private businesses in a number of industries.
• The Brambles, Mathews – The Brambles houses intellectually disabled adults, providing them with custom built living, activities and personal care.
• Top Guard Inc., Hampton – Top Guard Security employees serve as uniformed unarmed and armed private security officers, providing quality patrol for the Virginia peninsula.
• Vailes Brothers Inc., Fishersville – Offering home improvement services for more than 25 years, Vailes provides remodeling, heating and air conditioning and plumbing throughout the Fisherville area.