The VirginiaBusiness.com Top Five
State Sen. Amanda Chase, the only announced GOP candidate for the 2021 gubernatorial race, appeared in two of the top trending stories on VirginiaBusiness.com from July 16 to Aug. 15.
- Chase refused to wear mask at Harrisonburg restaurant — After campaigning with rocker Ted Nugent, Chase got into a kerfuffle with the owners of Vito’s Italian Kitchen. (Aug. 10)
- NoVa Chamber yanks invite to Chase —The Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce disinvited Chase to speak, saying her rhetoric appeals to “bigotry and hate.” Chase demanded an apology. (July 22)
- Falwell agrees to indefinite leave of absence from Liberty University —The Christian university’s board of trustees asked Liberty President Jerry Falwell Jr. to leave after he posted a controversial Instagram photo. (Aug. 7)
- Dominion taps new CEO, rearranges leadership — Thomas Farrell II will become executive chair effective Oct. 1, and Robert Blue will succeed Farrell as president and CEO. (July 31)
- First look at Portsmouth casino — Rush Street Gaming released renderings of the proposed $300 million Rivers Casino Portsmouth. (July 21)