39 Virginia companies make 2021 Fortune 1000 list
Hilton falls off Fortune 500 amid pandemic losses
Thirty-nine Virginia-based companies made Fortune magazine’s 67th annual Fortune 1000 list, which was released Wednesday. The list ranks the 1,000 largest United States corporations by total revenue.
Twenty-two companies made the elite Fortune 500 list, including Fortune 500 newcomer CACI International Inc., which was ranked at No. 473 this year. It was ranked No. 549 on the 2020 list.
Notably, McLean-based global hotelier Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc., which saw major revenue losses during the pandemic, fell off the Fortune 500 list this year, plummeting from No. 338 on the 2020 Fortune 500 to No. 596 on the 2021 Fortune 1000. Hilton reported $720 million in losses for 2020 and its per-room revenue dropped more than 56%.
Companies that moved up significantly on the Fortune 500 this year include Booz Allen Hamilton Holding Corp. (+59); Science Applications International Corp. (+54); Leidos Holdings Inc. (+41); CarMax (+37); NVR Inc. (+34); and Huntington Ingalls Industries (+30).
Richmond-based Arko Corp., a holding company for the nation’s sixth-largest convenience store chain, GPM Investments LLC, debuted on the 2021 Fortune 1000 list at No. 681. With brands including Fas Mart and E-Z Mart, GPM has been growing aggressively and acquired the ExpressStop chain in May.
Ten Fortune 500 companies and 18 Fortune 1000 companies on this year’s list are headquartered in Fairfax County. Seven Fortune 500 companies and 12 Fortune 1000 companies are based in the Richmond area, including Goochland, Hanover and Henrico counties.
These are the Virginia-based companies that made the 2021 Fortune 1000 list, in order of ranking:
47) Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corp. (“Freddie Mac”), McLean, Virginia
84) General Dynamics Corp., Falls Church
86) Northrop Grumman Corp., Falls Church
99) Capital One Financial Corp., McLean
111) Dollar Tree Stores Inc., Chesapeake
114) Performance Food Group Co., Goochland County
136) CarMax, Goochland County
138) Altria Group Inc., Henrico County
152) DXC Technology, Tysons
193) Dominion Energy Inc., Richmond
248) Leidos Holdings Inc., Reston
307) Norfolk Southern Corp., Norfolk
311) Markel Corp., Glen Allen
313) AES Corp., Arlington
327) Huntington Ingalls Industries, Newport News
345) Owens & Minor Inc., Mechanicsville
348) Genworth Financial, Henrico County
383) NVR Inc., Reston
391) Booz Allen Hamilton Holding Corp., McLean
412) Science Applications International Corp., Reston
420) Beacon Roofing Supply, Herndon
473) CACI International Inc., Arlington
575) Perspecta, Chantilly
596) Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc., McLean
622) ASGN Inc., Glen Allen
625) Parsons Corp., Centreville
650) Brink’s Co., Henrico County
677) Maximus Inc., Reston
681) Arko Corp., Richmond
683) Gannett, McLean
756) Tegna Inc., McLean
768) Graham Holdings Co., Arlington
797) Pacific Architects and Engineers (PAE), Falls Church
835) ManTech International Corp., Herndon
896) AvalonBay Communities Inc., Arlington
924) Franchise Group Inc., Virginia Beach
932) BWX Technologies Inc., Lynchburg
954) NewMarket Corp., Richmond
981) Universal Corp., Richmond