34 Va. companies make 2022 Fortune 1000 list
21 companies make Fortune 500, including Richmond's Arko Corp.
Thirty-four Virginia-based companies made Fortune magazine’s 68th annual Fortune 1000 list, which was released Monday. The list ranks the 1,000 largest United States corporations by total revenue, including public companies and private companies for which revenue information is available.
Twenty-one companies made the elite Fortune 500 list, including Richmond-based convenience retail holding company Arko Corp., which debuted this year on the Fortune 500 at No. 498. Arko is the parent company of Richmond-based GPM Investments LLC. One of the nation’s largest convenience store chains, GPM’s brands include Fas Mart and E-Z Mart. Earlier this year, Arko completed its 21st acquisition since 2013. Arko has business across more than 3,000 locations, with 1,396 company-operated stores as well as 1,625 dealer sites for which it supplies fuel.
“We’re incredibly proud to be named to this year’s Fortune 500 list, an important confirmation that our growth strategy, disciplined investment approach, and our people continue to deliver excellent results,” said Arko Chairman, President and CEO Arie Kotler in a statement. “This is a significant achievement since joining NASDAQ less than two years ago, and a testament to our continued success. We will continue to drive growth and execute our strategy to deliver long-term value for our stakeholders.”
Last year, Virginia had 39 companies on the Fortune 1000, including 22 in the top 500.
Notably, following its late 2021 move to Atlanta, No. 332-ranked railroad corporation Norfolk Southern is no longer a Virginia-based company. Similarly, Chantilly-based publicly traded defense contractor Perspecta Inc,, which ranked No. 575 last year, was acquired by the privately held federal contractor Peraton Inc. in May 2021 and is no longer on the list. Federal contractor CACI International Inc., which debuted on the 2021 Fortune 500 at No. 473, was ranked at No. 522 this year, falling 49 places.
The only companies that moved up on the Fortune 500 this year were Goochland County-based Performance Food Group, a food products distributor that moved up two slots to No. 112, and Henrico County insurance company Markel, which moved up 22 places to No. 289. Several companies tumbled significantly lower down the list, including Henrico-based insurer Genworth Financial, which fell 86 places to No. 434, and Richmond utility Dominion Energy, which slid 64 slots to No. 257. McLean-based global hotelier Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc., which fell off the Fortune 500 last year as it endured major revenue losses during the pandemic, rose from No. 598 last year to No. 536 on this year’s list.
Nine of this year’s 21 Virginia Fortune 500 companies are based in Fairfax County.
These are the Virginia-based companies that made the 2022 Fortune 1000 list, in order of ranking:
56) Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corp. (“Freddie Mac”), McLean
94) General Dynamics Corp., Falls Church
101) Northrop Grumman Corp., Falls Church
108) Capital One Financial Corp., McLean
112) Performance Food Group Co., Goochland County
137) Dollar Tree Stores Inc., Chesapeake
165) Altria Group Inc., Henrico County
174) CarMax, Goochland County
207) DXC Technology, Ashburn
257) Dominion Energy Inc., Richmond
274) Leidos Holdings Inc., Reston
289) Markel Corp., Glen Allen
333) AES Corp., Arlington
361) Owens & Minor Inc., Mechanicsville
370) Huntington Ingalls Industries, Newport News
389) NVR Inc., Reston
434) Genworth Financial, Henrico County
436) Booz Allen Hamilton Holding Corp., McLean
456) Science Applications International Corp., Reston
478) Beacon Roofing Supply, Herndon
498) Arko Corp., Richmond
522) CACI International Inc., Reston
538) Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc., McLean
663) ASGN Inc., Glen Allen
667) Maximus Inc., Reston
675) Brink’s Co., Henrico County
733) Parsons Corp., Centreville
801) Gannett, McLean
804) Graham Holdings Co., Arlington
832) Tegna Inc., McLean
915) ManTech International Corp., Herndon
947) NewMarket Corp., Richmond
960) AvalonBay Communities Inc., Arlington
995) BWX Technologies Inc., Lynchburg
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that 35 Virginia-based companies made the 2022 Fortune 1000 list; only 34 companies from Virginia made the list this year.