11 Va. employers recognized for hiring veterans
Virginia Values Veterans Awards announced at Va. Veterans and Military Affairs Conference
Eleven Virginia employers received this year’s Virginia Values Veterans Awards, which were announced Wednesday during the virtual 2020 Virginia Veterans and Military Affairs Conference, which is hosted by the Virginia Chamber of Commerce in partnership with the Virginia Department of Veterans Services (VDVS) and the Virginia Veterans Services Foundation (VVSF).
“Virginia is home to a strong military and veteran community,” Virginia Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Barry DuVal said in a statement. “With 30 military installations and one of the largest veteran populations in the country, Virginia remains deeply committed to empowering the men and woman who answer the call to serve and protect our nation by providing a high quality of life not only while they serve, but as they transition to civilian life.”
The awards recognize employers for their commitment to hiring Virginia military veterans and transitioning service members and their spouses. The employers were all part of the state’s Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Program, which provides training and assistance for companies seeking to recruit and hire military veterans.
“Veterans have highly valuable skills that companies are looking for,” Gov. Ralph Northam said in a statement. “The V3 program encourages employers to support and hire these qualified veterans, and the partnership between employers and the program has been a tremendous success, with more than 64,000 veterans hired as a result of the program. I congratulate all of the employers honored today, and thank them for their commitment to our veterans.”
Four employers received the V3 Governor’s Awards, which honor V3-certified employers who “went above and beyond” while recruiting and hiring Virginia veterans last year.
Governor’s Awards recipients are as follows:
- Intelliware Systems, (small company: 1-51 employees),Fredericksburg, 35 hires
- G4S Secure Systems (medium company: 51-300 employees), Richmond, 133 hires
- Top Guard Security (large company: 301-1,000 or more employees), Richmond, Hampton & Norfolk, 279 hires
- Booz Allen Hamilton (enterprise company – more than 1,000 employees), McLean, 2,093 hires
Other award recipients include:
- 2020 V3 Secretary’s Award: Virginia Community College System (VCCS), Richmond. Presented by Virginia Secretary of Veterans and Defense Affairs in recognition of a V3 Certified Government Agency or Public Entity for demonstrated innovative support for Virginia veterans and promoting veteran employment.
- 2020 V3 Hire VETS Now Fellowship Award: Hampton Roads Veteran Employment Center, Norfolk. Presented in recognition for establishing a fellowship program for transitioning service members in partnership with the Virginia Chamber Foundation and the Virginia Department of Veterans Services.
- 2020 V3 Breakthrough Award: Gryphon Technologies, Chesapeake, Norfolk, and Washington, D.C. Presented in recognition of the V3 Certified Employer with the most innovative veteran recruiting and hiring process.
- 2020 V3 Military Spouse Award: Amazon.com Inc., Arlington (167 military spouses hired) Presented in recognition of the V3 Certified Employer who has excelled in the hiring of military spouses during 2019.
- 2020 V3 Readiness Award: Carilion Clinic, Roanoke, Presented to a V3 Certified Employer for their efforts toward improving workforce readiness, streamlining career development and fostering a strong military readiness workplace culture and environment.
- 2020 V3 Trailblazer Award: Leidos, Reston. Presented to a V3 Certified Employer in recognition of their strong partnership in many aspects of the V3 program from recruiting, hiring, training and retaining Virginia veterans and spouses to workforce development, marketing and community impact.
- 2020 V3 Locality Award: Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, Fairfax. Presented to a V3 Certified Locality for demonstrated innovative methods and overall support for Virginia veterans and for leadership in a creative and military-friendly community.