Companies offer suggestions for improving I-66
- December 10, 2013
Nineteen private-sector companies and groups have offered suggestions to improve a 25-mile section of Interstate 66 in Northern Virginia.
Recommendations for the congested I-66 corridor from Capital Beltway to Route 15 in Haymarket came in a response to a request for information issued by the commonwealth.
“The Commonwealth has asked for the best and brightest ideas from both the public and private sectors and that resulting synergy will provide the most effective solutions to ease congestion and improve travel on I-66,” Transportation Secretary Sean T. Connaughton said in a statement.
The RFI sought input on best practices and innovative approaches to develop and finance transportation improvements on I-66.
Improvements under consideration could add additional capacity to the road, provide multi-modal options and possibly finance the project through tolled express lanes, similar to the 495 Express Lanes.
The Federal Highway Administration recently issued a Record of Decision on the Tier 1 Environmental Impact Statement study of I-66, clearing the way for the Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) to select one or more of the final 10 concepts for detailed analysis.
These concepts would increase capacity within the corridor, as well as options to increase travel mode choices, improve individual interchanges, address spot safety needs and enhance travel efficiency.
The CTB will consider the RFI responses in advancing the I-66 study to next phase in the environmental review process.
The companies and groups responding to the RFI included:
1. Abertis USA Corp
2. Acciona Concessions Canada Inc.
3. ACS Infrastructure Development and Dragados USA
5. Bechtel Infrastructure Corporation
6. Cintra and Ferrovial Agroman
7. Edgemoor Infrastructure & Real Estate, Shirley Contracting Company, Clark Construction Group, and Dewberry Consultants
8. Fluor Enterprises, Inc.
9. HOCHTIEF and Flatiron
10. Kiewit Infrastructure South Co. and Kiewit Development Company
11. Lane Construction Corporation
12. Macquarie Capital (USA) Inc.
13. Meridiam Infrastructure North America Corporation
14. OHL Infrastructure, Inc.
15. Shikun & Binui Ltd. (a member of the Arison Group)
16. Skanska AB
17. SNC-Lavalin Inc.
19. Vinci Concessions USA