Proposals sought for Colonial Williamsburg Foundation’s former headquarters
- October 19, 2018
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is looking to breathe new life into its former headquarters in Merchants Square.
The foundation and Cushman & Wakefield | Thalhimer have issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the adaptive reuse of the property at 134 N. Henry St. in Williamsburg.
From 1940 through 2018, the building served as the administrative headquarters for the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and the repository of the foundation’s corporate archives. Colonial Williamsburg’s executive team has relocated to 301 First St.in Williamsburg on the foundation’s Bruton Heights campus.
A co-issued news release said the property awaits an adaptive reuse that capitalizes upon advancing downtown vibrancy and high demand for new residential and commercial options in the city’s epicenter. The reuse of the property, which is now vacant, should honor the quality of the finishes that were employed during the Williamsburg Restoration. The proposals will be reviewed by Colonial Williamsburg’s Real Estate Department and subject to approval by its senior leadership.
Merchants Square, located in Williamsburg’s downtown, is flanked by Colonial Williamsburg’s Historic Area and Art Museums and by the College of William & Mary. The mixed-use commercial district spans roughly 10 city blocks and includes 225,000 square feet of retail, restaurant, entertainment, residential and specialty space plus more than 30,000 square feet of office space.
Cushman & Wakefield | Thalhimer’s Dawn F. Griggs and Drew Haynie are leading the assignment on behalf of The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
Photo courtesy Cushman & Wakefield | Thalhimer