Amazon at a glance
- November 13, 2018
• Founded: July 5, 1994 in Seattle, Wash. The corporate headquarters consists of 33 buildings with more than 8 million square feet of space, 24 restaurants and other retail operations.
• Number of employees: more than 540,000 worldwide, including 250,000 full-time jobs in the U.S. and 8,500 fulltime employees in Virginia.
• Small businesses: 28,000 small- and medium-sized Virginia businesses currently sell on Amazon.
• Third quarter sales: $56.6 billion.
• Market cap: As of Nov. 13, the company’s stock was trading at $1,636 per share for a market cap of $800.3 billion. In September, Amazon became the second U.S. public company (after Apple) to hit the $1 trillion market cap.
• Facilities in Virginia: Six fulfillment and sortation centers in Ashland, Chester, ClearBrook, Petersburg, Springfield and Sterling; three Prime Now hubs in Richmond, Springfield, and Virginia Beach; six solar facilities in Buckingham, New Kent, Sussex, Powhatan, Accomack and Southampton Counties. Amazon also is locating its East Coast campus for Amazon Web Services, the company’s cloud computing unit, in Fairfax County, where AWS already has operations.
Sources: Amazon’s website, Virginia Business, published reports.