5 Key startup resources
- January 27, 2011
Virginia entrepreneurs are fortunate to have an abundance of outstanding online and published resources free of charge. Here are some favorites:
- Entrepreneur Express. These free, half-day seminars are held around the state. They offer tips and resources to help existing businesses expand their sales and new businesses get off the ground. Find dates and locations at http://www.vastartup.org.
- SCORE: Counselors to America’s Small Business. SCORE offers free counseling for new and growing businesses from former Fortune 500 executives and successful entrepreneurs. SCORE’s website, http://www.score.org has a, wealth of information on starting a business, including templates for writing your business plan. There are many SCORE chapters throughout Virginia.
- Guide to Establishing a Business. Everything you need to know about Virginia’s regulatory framework from the Virginia Economic Development Partnership. http://www.yesvirginia.org/pdf/guides/EstablishingBusiness10-11.pdf
- Starting a Business and Keeping Records, IRS Publication 583. Determining how to account for income and expenses is critical. This pamphlet can help. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p583.pdf or call (800) TAX FORM.
- Small Business Administration. The Small Business Administration is another go-to website with a host of resources for entrepreneurs. Get started at http://www.sba.gov.