Industries

Southwest Virginia For the Record

  •  | 
Print this page

The Alleghany Foundation, a Covington-based nonprofit foundation, awarded 13 grants for more than $1.7 million to various groups and projects in the Alleghany Highlands. The Alleghany Highlands Economic Development Corp. received $251,000 to support the salary of an executive director for three years. Another $212,000 went for grants to support salaries and pharmacy services for a free clinic in Low Moor. (News release)

The Virginia Coalfield Economic Development Authority issued a $5.7 million grant to the Buchanan County Industrial Development Authority to add 690 acres to the Lover’s Gap/Poplar Gap industrial park.  (News release)

Virginia Tech, through its Department of Biological Sciences, launched a corporate partners program to encourage relationships between the university community and bio-science firms in the mid-Atlantic region. Funds will provide scholarships to foster diversity in the undergraduate ranks as well as research projects and hands-on learning. Among the companies helping to formulate the program were Merck, Novozymes Biologicals, Revivicor and Pfizer Sales. (News release)

John Norman Clothiers of Roanoke closed after 75 years of operation. Founded by John Norman in 1932, the downtown retailing operation was sold to the Wendell family in 1971. Owner Jeff Wendell cited family considerations and market pressures for the decision. (The Roanoke Times)


Reader Comments

comments powered by Disqus


showhide shortcuts