Port traffic continues to grow
- April 16, 2013
Traffic volume at the Port of Virginia continued to grow in March.
Container traffic was up 7.7 percent in March, as the port’s facilities handled 179,518 TEUs (20-foot equivalent units), an increase of 12,799 units when compared with March 2012.
Year-to-date, port volume is up 6.2 percent.
March numbers also showed some recent trends: both barge and rail traffic grew.
• Total barge volume was 4,262 containers (up 11.4 percent).
• General cargo tonnage was 1,560,896 (up 5 percent).
• Total rail containers were 36,046 (up 14.3 percent).
• Virginia Inland Port containers were 2,877 (down 8.6 percent).
• Total ship calls were 158 (down 8.7 percent).