Gov. Bob McDonnell released Tuesday a list of 158 transportation projects he would propose if his transportation funding plan was passed by the General Assembly.
The projects, which include extension of Metrorail to Dulles International Airport and the extension of passenger rail to Roanoke, would be in addition to projects under the state’s current six-year improvement plan.
McDonnell’s proposal would provide $1.07 billion in new funds for rail and transit projects and would prevent $500 million in the state’s existing six-year program from being delayed, he said in a statement.
“A world-class transportation system is vital to both economic opportunity and to the quality of life of every Virginian,” McDonnell said in a statement. “It is imperative that we act now to ensure that Virginia continues to lead the way as a top place to live, work and raise a family.“
McDonnell’s transportation plan would eliminate the state’s 17.5-cents-per-gallon gasoline tax and add 0.8 percent to the state’s sales and use tax, which would be dedicated to transportation. It would increase the vehicle registration fee by $15 and impose a $100 per year fee on alternative vehicles.
If his plan passed, McDonnell says he will ask the Commonwealth Transportation Board to fund 158 projects. Some of those projects include:
• Dulles Metrorail Extension Project
• Extension of passenger rail to Roanoke
• Increased train service to and from Norfolk
• I-66/Route 28 interchange in Fairfax County
• I-95 interchange relocation in Stafford County
• I-95/I-64 overlap improvements in Richmond
• I-64 capacity improvements between Newport News and Williamsburg
• Route 606, Dulles Loop in Loudoun County
• Route 29/666 Interchange in Culpeper County
• Route 340 bridge replacement in Warren County
• I-81 bridge replacement over the New River in Montgomery County
• I-81/I-77 overlap capacity improvements
• Numerous bridge replacements statewide
• Major interstate reconstructive paving projects statewide
• Track improvements Newport News to Richmond/Richmond to Washington, DC
• Unpaved road projects, statewide
The full list of projects can be viewed here:
Highway projects: http://www.governor.virginia.gov/utility/docs/Illustrative%20List%20Highway%20Projects.pdf
Transit and rail projects: http://www.governor.virginia.gov/utility/docs/Illustrative%20List%20Rail%20and%20Transit%20Projects.pdf
There are no comments for this entry