2011 Guide to Doing Business in Virginia
An Introduction from the Publisher
- January 27, 2011
Entrepreneurial spirit creates new jobs that will drive our economic recovery in Virginia and across the U.S. In the pages of Virginia Business’ seventh annual Guide to Doing Business in Virginia, you will find just about everything you need to know to start or expand your business. Returning as distribution partners for this year’s guide are the Virginia Department of Business Assistance and the Virginia Small Business Development Centers. Each year, these two groups help thousands of businesses in all parts of our state point themselves toward a more successful future.
This year’s guide is now even easier to use. It is organized into four chapters based on company-specific needs: 1) Starting your own business; 2) Running your own business; 3) Growing your business, and 4) References. These chapters loosely simulate VDBA’s revamped online resource for business owners. Business One Stop has new functionality and is another great resource for navigating the challenges of launching and growing your own business.
As always, Virginia Business cares about your business!
President & Publisher
Chapter 1: Ready to launch? Starting your business
- Do you have what it takes?
- Drafting a business plan
- Business One Stop
- 5 key startup resources
- Legal entity and business structures
- The to-do list
- Reducing risk: ease into owning a business
- “Green” businesses
Chapter 2: Nuts & Bolts: Running your business
- Stay on top of taxation requirements
- Financing your business
- Debt financing
- Financing resources
- Tips on working with a bank
- Equity financing
- Low-cost marketing can grow your business
- Find good employees
- Tips on benefits you should offer
- Legal help needed for businesses
- Risk management
Chapter 3: Are you ready to grow your business?
- Selling to the commonwealth
- Selling to the federal government
- Think international!
- Using social media
- So you want to move to Virginia?
- Virginia business incentives
Chapter 4: References